Summer squash season is coming to an end! I’ve been seeing spaghetti squash and butternut at the grocery store, so the fall veggies are making a debut. My mom gave me a huge zucchini from the garden which had me craving healthy rolls. I’ve seen tons of variations of this on Pinterest, but I wanted something on the healthier, less cheesy side. My version has cottage cheese instead of mozzarella.
Ribbon the zucchini with a mandolin . You can also just slice it if you don’t have a mandolin. Then grill the thin slices of zucchini, I used my George Foreman . Let the grilled zucchini cool for a little bit and prepare the filling. For the filling, mix together chopped onions, chopped mushrooms, cottage cheese, fresh oregano, fresh basil, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Lay the grilled slices flat, and layer the filling on top. Feel free to add extra topping; I went for red peppers, but carrots or cucumbers would taste just as good.
Roll them up. If they don’t stay together, use some toothpicks to skewer them!
Lastly, sprinkle some salt and pepper on the rolls!
Eat immediately, the cooked zucchini might get soggy if it sits for too long.
The bite sized pieces would make a perfect healthy appetizer at a dinner party. I love finger food, and the colors look so vibrant and tasty.
- Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 Chopped Onion
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Mushrooms
- Fresh Oregano
- Fresh Basil
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Slice the zucchini long ways with a mandoline.
- Grill and set aside to cool.
- Combine all other ingredients in a bowl to make the filling.
- Layer filling on top of flat zucchini slices.
- Top with your choice of veggies (red peppers, jalapeños, carrots, cucumbers.)
- Roll up and secure with toothpicks if necessary.
- Top with additional salt and pepper.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Have a great day!