Three years ago I purchased a waffle iron…and only used it once. Let’s be honest, protein pancakes are easier to make than waffles and I kinda forgot I owned the iron! This past summer, when we were moving, James added my waffle iron to the donate pile since we didn’t use it and I realllllllly did not want to get rid of it. We compromised and I promised to use the waffle iron once a month or James would get rid of it. With that came various Belgian waffle recipe tests. I finally perfected my recipe and now can easily make fluffy and airy Belgian waffles!
You can top the waffles with all of your favorite goodies, maple syrup, strawberries, powdered sugar, etc!
Waffle Mixes(if you wanna go the easy route) and Appliances
Belgian waffle recipe below!
The trick to amazing Belgian waffles is creating a crisp exterior but a fluffy and soft interior. A pro tip that I learned is, make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature before you start mixing. I guess this is a baking basic, but I truly felt a difference when I made this change.
For ingredients, it’s pretty simple. All you need is flour, eggs (whites and yolks separated,) almond milk, melted butter, baking powder, salt, sugar, vanilla extract, and toppings!
Sift together, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In a separate bowl, mix together almond milk, egg yolks, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Separately, whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
Combine dry ingredients with milk/egg yolk mixture until smooth. Gently fold in whisked egg whites until everything is combined. Annnnd your waffle mix is ready to be cooked in a heated waffle iron!
We suggest heating the oven to 200 degrees and placing the completed waffles on a cookie sheet in the oven until it is time to eat. This keeps everything warm until it’s brunch time.
Once your waffles are cooked, top them with your favorite waffle toppings, ours are powdered sugar, whipped cream, and strawberries, and enjoy!
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/8 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Vanilla Almond Milk
- 2 Eggs, Yolks and Whites Separated
- 1/2 Cup Melted Butter
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Fruit, powdered sugar, maple syrup, jam for topping
- Preheat Oven to 200 Degree.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond milk, egg yolks, butter, and vanilla extract.
- Start preheating your waffle iron.
- Whisk egg whites until foamy, then add sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Combine dry ingredients with milk/yolk/butter mixture until blended.
- Gently fold in whisked egg whites.
- Cook mixture according to your waffle iron directions.
- Put cooked waffles on a baking sheet in the preheated oven to keep warm until it's ready to serve.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!