This Indian Okra Recipe is one of my absolute favorites! It has a spicy and creamy tomato and onion sauce with crispy okra pieces. When I visit my parents, this is always the dinner dish I request; the rich sauce is just amazing. Since James has been requesting Indian food more and more, I’ve been trying to mimic my mom’s traditional recipes with a little flair. My kitchen is officially stocked with all the essential Indian spices: turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cumin, clove, cardamom, curry leaves, and curry powder, so I’m ready to test out my favorite Indian dishes.
Indian Spice Rack Must Haves!
Indian Okra Recipe aka Bhindi Masala below…
If I’m being completely honest, making okra at home terrified me, because it always got so sticky. But my mom’s pro-tip is stir-frying sliced okra in just olive oil until it’s 90% cooked. Then add it to the tomato gravy. Such an easy tweak that leads to no stickiness.
Plate: Target (gold rim sold out)
Not gonna lie, after I stir fried the okra, I snacked on a bunch because they were so tasty as is. Essentially okra fries…yum!
The tomato, onion sauce is jam-packed with traditional Indian spices like turmeric, garam masala, coriander, chili powder, and garlic-ginger paste. I may be biased, but the combination of Indian spices with a tomato sauce is just a magical thing. Can you tell, we love Indian food here :D!
This Indian Okra Recipe will taste amazing with naan or even just rice. I personally like slicing the okra into big fry-like pieces but feel free to chop them however you want. The sauce is well balanced and perfect for dipping naan in!
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 16 Oz Sliced Okra, soak all excess water with napkins
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic-Ginger Paste or 1/2 Tablespoon Minced Garlic and 1/2 Tablespoon Shredded Ginger
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 3 Large Ripe Tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Sour Cream (use cashew milk to make it vegan!)
- Cilantro for Garnish
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp olive oil in skillet on medium-high heat and stir fry sliced okra until it is almost fully cooked and golden brown. Do not add anything else to avoid stickiness.
- As okra is cooking, in a separate pot, heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil and add diced onions. Saute until golden.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, chili powder and garam masala and mix thoroughly.
- Add diced tomatoes and bring to simmer.
- Dilute tomato paste with water and add to the pot with brown sugar. Lower temperature and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take 2/3 of the tomato mixture and blend until smooth.
- Dilute sour cream with water and add to blended mixture. Put blended tomato sauce back in post and let simmer.
- Stir frequently to avoid sour cream from splitting and add water based on consistency. Let everything simmer until the oil has separated from the sauce.
- Once oil is separating, add cooked okra and let it simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cilantro and sour cream.
- Serve with naan or rice and enjoy!