We strive to have Mexican food at least once a week, and we love to go all out when we make it. What better excuse to make margaritas, than Mexican night, right?! Along with margs, we love having tons of easy side dishes to choose. One of our favorites is my one pot Mexican rice recipe.
The best part is, it’s super easy to make, has minimal prep work and only requires one pot–so minimal clean up too! Dinner really doesn’t get easier than that.
One Pot Mexican Rice Recipe is below!
With only 25 minutes of prep and cook time, the Mexican rice recipe can be made in just one pot from start to finish. It is bursting with the fragrant flavors you find in Mexican food and has a slight kick thanks to some chipotle powder and taco seasoning.
My pro tip is to use Basmati Rice when making this recipe because it’s fluffy, not sticky and absorbs flavors well. When we were younger, my mom always used Basmati rice in every type of food: Mexican, Chinese, Indian…it was always Basmati. So I picked up this habit.
Next time you’re planning Mexican or Taco night, add this to your menu as a simple and easy to make side dish option.
You should also check out my Cowboy Caviar recipe; it’s another great side dish for Taco Night!
Doesn’t this spread look amazing? Having multiple side dishes and filling options make it easy for everyone to have the perfect taco!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 Small Onion Finely Diced
- 2 Teaspoons Chipotle Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes, with juices
- 1 Cup Corn Kernels
- 1 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Cilantro
- Lime Juice
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a dutch oven. Add minced garlic and diced onion and saute for 1 minute until aromatic. Add chipotle powder and taco seasoning, stir until combined.
- Add rice and saute for 2 more minute, until the rice is fully coated with seasoning. Add fire roasted tomatoes, corn kernels, and water. Stir to combine, add pepper to taste. Cover and bring water to boil.
- Stir, lower temperature to a gentle simmer, cover and let the rice cook for about 15 minutes, until water is fully absorbed.
- Top with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve immediately!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/2 Cup, Cooked
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 251mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 11g Protein: 3g