With Cinco de Mayo a few days away, we created a super easy taco recipe spread that can be ready in under an hour! We love creating taco platters with numerous topping options so that everyone can make the taco of their dreams and it will also be a hands-on experience.
On the menu for taco night is shredded chipotle chicken, one pot Mexican rice, cowboy caviar, grilled vegetables, cowboy caviar, and simple guacamole. Sounds complicated? Well, it isn’t, and we had all of this ready with some mango margaritas in under an hour!
My game plan to preparing this ASAP is by sharing the prep work and chopping. Then getting the rice and chicken on the stove. Then working on the caviar, guac and grilled veggies! Efficient and swiftly done!
Keep reading for instructions on how to make the shredded chipotle chicken, grilled veggies and simple guacamole.
Taco Night Essentials
Easy Taco Recipe
Doesn’t that spread look delicious? For the shredded chipotle chicken you need chicken tenderloins (or breast), minced garlic, chopped onions, chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce + some of that delicious sauce, cumin, lime, chicken broth, and cilantro. Detailed instructions in the recipe card below!!
For the veggies, all we do is grill sliced onions, red, orange, and yellow bell peppers, mushrooms and zucchini on a hot cast iron skillet with salt and pepper. Honestly, just use your personal preference with which vegetable you want to use. We’re veggie lovers so the more the merrier. I like using a cast iron skillet because you get a good char and smokey flavor!
Last but not least, my simple guacamole recipe! It’s basically made of avocado, minced garlic, finely chopped onion, chopped jalapeno, lime, cilantro, and salt. That’s it! It takes 5 minutes to prepare and is worth the effort!!
Organize all of your components on a wooden board or platter and enjoy with tortillas or hard taco shells.
- 1 lbs Chicken Tenderloin or Breast
- 4-5 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (chopped) + 1 Tbsp of Sauce
- 3 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1 Small Onion (chopped)
- 2 Cups Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro (chopped)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pot on medium heat. Add chipotle peppers, garlic and onions. Saute for 1-2 minutes until aromatic and soft. Add cumin powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Stir well, don't let the spices burn.
- Add broth and cilantro and mix well. Place chicken in the broth so it is fully submerged. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer on medium-low heat for 14-18 minutes. Tenderloin will cook faster than breast. Always check the temperature with a meat thermometer.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove the breast from the heat and set aside for shredding. Let the liquids simmer and reduce while you shred the chicken. Shred the chicken with two forks and then add it back to the pot.
- Turn off the heat and let the shredded chicken absorb the fluids for a few more minutes!