Ok friends, this one is a good one. Two of my favorite things: tandoori chicken and pizza combined into one delicious package! Tandoori Chicken Naan Pizza with Cilantro Sauce may sound a little strange but we promise it’s SO good. Everyone that’s tried it has loved it and it’s a highly requested recipe in our household. The tandoori chicken naan pizza is really simple to make too, especially since we use ready made naan from Aldi. Oh and you can either make it in the Instant Pot or the Slow Cooker!
The shredded tandoori chicken is bursting with flavor and tastes great on a pizza, pita bread, in a sandwich, on tacos…the options are endless. We love pairing it with a blend of mozzarella and cheddar and topping it with our favorite creamy cilantro sauce that’s inspired by Gimme Delicious.
Fun Kitchen Gadgets on Amazon
Tandoori Chicken Naan Pizza
They key to flavorful shredded tandoori chicken is it needs to be marinated for a few hours, preferably overnight. You’re going to blend together yogurt with garlic, ginger and a bunch of spices and let the chicken breast soak as long as possible.
RELATED POST: Ginger Garlic Paste Recipe // Quick and Easy
Our go-to method of making the shredded tandoori chicken is either in the Crockpot or the Instant Pot. Since the Instant Pot version is more involved, I’ll include the details in the recipe card below! The end result is delicious either way!
RELATED POST: Greek Turkey Gyro Recipe with Tzatziki
As for the toppings, we love using a mozzarella and cheddar combo for cheese and the creamy, tangy and spicy cilantro sauce. As garnishes, you can use fresh jalapenos for more spice as well as some scallions and chopped tomatoes.
Let us know if you try this tandoori chicken naan pizza out!
- 1 lbs chicken breast cut into cubes
- 4 Naan or Pita Bread
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 black cardamom
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp Tandoori Masala (we love Swad Brand)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro
- Cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, any cheeses you like
- To garnish: chopped tomatoes, sliced jalapeno, cilantro, green onions
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 inches ginger
- 1 tbsp Tandoori Masala
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Paprika
Creamy Spicy Cilantro Sauce
- 2 cups cilantro
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise/ Vegan Mayo
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 Jalapeno or Serrano Pepper
- Juice from 1 Lime
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Prepare the chicken by putting slits in it for optimal marinade absorption. Blend together all "marinade" ingredients into a paste. Massage into the chicken and let it marinate overnight or at least 2 hours.
- To cook the chicken, heat up the Instant Pot in SAUTE mode and add vegetable oil.
- Once heated add the black cardamom pod and cumin seeds. Let it cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add sliced onions. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Add sliced red peppers. Cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add tandoori masala and chili powder and saute until combined. Add a little water to keep it from burning. Hit CANCEL on the Instant Pot.
- Add the marinated chicken with the marinade into the pot and saute until combined.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot. Set the Pressure Release Valve to "Sealing" and then set the Instant Pot to HIGH PRESSURE for 10 minutes. And then let it naturally release.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the Creamy Cilantro Sauce by blending all of the ingredients in a food processor.
- Using 2 forks, or a hand mixer, shred the chicken. Stir in lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- If the chicken is too liquidy, turn on SAUTE mode and let it cook off a little.
- Time to assemble, preheat the broiler and line your baking sheets with foil. Butter the naan, place on baking sheets and broil until toasted (about 1-2 minutes, keep an eye on it.)
- Layer shredded chicken on toasted naan and sprinkle on cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and toasty.
- Drizzle Creamy Cilantro Sauce on top and garnish with your favorite toppings!
Slow Cooker Instructions: Place marinated chicken + marinade, onion, red pepper, chili powder, and tandoori masala into a slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. One hour before eating, remove chicken from slow cooker, shred it, and then put chicken back in the pot and cook for an additional hour!