We may earn an affiliate commission from some links in this post, at no cost to you. Thank you!
Korean food is easily one of our favorite cuisines. Whether it’s Korean BBQ, tofu soup, or just simple kimchi fried rice; we love the depth of flavors that come through. Homemade Korean BBQ sounds complicated and time consuming. But, what if I told you that you could have similar flavors in less than 30 minutes?! This Korean Beef Rice Bowl Recipe takes no time to make, but is packed with delicious and spicy tastes that you expect with your favorite Korean meals.
Wanna know why this is one of my most cooked recipes? The easy, peasy easy-ness to make it. I’m not exaggerating when I say it takes 30 minutes and you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry! In essence, the Korean Beef Rice Bowl Recipe is just rice with heavenly Korean BBQ-esque beef + sauce, kimchi, edamame, zucchini ribbons, scallions and a fried egg. It also keeps well in the fridge and is perfect for a weekly meal prep!
Korean Beef Rice Bowl Recipe
Start off by making your prefered rice. We always go with brown basmati rice, regardless of what cuisine we’re making. The rice takes the longest to cook. So the sooner that’s done, the sooner you can eat!
As the rice is cooking, you can prepare the ground beef in amazing sauce. The amazing sauce is made of caramelized onions, garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Even if you’re a novice home chef, you probably have a majority of these ingredients in your pantry.
For the beef, we heat olive oil and cook minced garlic and sliced onions until they’re brown and caramelized. Add beef and crumble it until it’s fully cooked. As the beef cooks, mix together the brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, red pepper flakes salt and black pepper. Add this to the browned beef and let it simmer for a minute or so! Now it’s ready to go. You can also fry your egg while you wait for the rice to cook.
To play with the Korean BBQ flavors, I recommend layering your bowl with additional accompaniments. Start with rice on the bottom and a large dollop of the ground beef and sauce on top. Add kimchi, edamame, zucchini ribbons, a fried egg, scallions and sesame seeds on top. Easy right?! Full recipe with proportions below.
- Your prefered rice, cooked.
- Olive OIl
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 cup zucchini ribbons (made with vegetable peeler)
- 1/8 cup Kimchi
- 1/4 cup Edamame
- Green Onions Chopped
- Start cooking your prefered rice since it takes the longest.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat, Add minced garlic and sliced onions. Saute until they're golden brown.
- Add beef and crumble it until it’s fully cooked.
- As beef cooks, prepare the sauce. Mix together the brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, red pepper flakes salt and black pepper.
- Add sauce to cooked beef and simmer for a minute or two.
- Remove from heat and fry an egg in a separate pan.
- Once rice is cooked, start layering bowl: rice on bottom, top with beef with sauce, kimchi, zucchini, edamame, fried egg, sesame seeds and green onion.